Jim Downing is Managing Member of Golf Design Unlimited (GDU).
Previously, Mr. Downing was a Partner in Tee Time Marketing Group, the Managing Director at International Trade Group, an international business consulting firm, President of SIPCO, a printing company, Director of Administration at Advatex Associates, a publicly traded construction company, COO at Heinick Apple and Co and a Manager at Price Waterhouse.
Mr. Downing is a seasoned business professional with over 30 years of financial, operations and human resources management experience in sports, consulting, construction, and finance industries.
Jim has an MBA from Sacred Heart University and an undergraduate degree from Westminster College.
Jim is or has been involved with the following organizations:
- Who's Who National Directory, Executives and Professionals
- The First Tee
- Society of Human Resources Management, Board of Directors
- Connecticut Renaissance, Board of Directors
- Institute of Management Accountants, President 3 years
- Junior Achievement
- Member of the USGA
Doug Smith an American Society of Golf Course Architect, (ASGCA) is responsible for design, renovation, construction and project management of golf courses, practice areas and landing areas for our Golf Course Design and Renovation Division. Mr. Smith has been involved with over 200 design and renovation projects, 20 Driving Range construction projects, 20 new golf course design and construction projects and over 100 Master Plans.
Mr. Smith has practiced golf course design for over 24 years in collaboration with partner Stephen Kay. During that time he has been responsible for over 20 new golf courses including: The Links at Union Vale - Putnam County New York ; Manhattan Woods GC - West Nyack, New York; Willow Creek G & CC – Long Island, NY ; The Links of North Dakota – Williston, ND ; Scotland Run GC – Williamstown, NJ; Blue Heron Pines GC – Atlantic City, NJ; Emerald Golf Links – Atlantic City, NJ; Arivali Golf Club – Delhi, India; New York CC – New Hempstead, NY; Architects GC – Lopatcong, NJ; Harbor Pines GC – Atlantic City, NJ; Stanton Ridge GC – Whitehouse Station, NJ....
Renovations and restorations including: Putnam National GC – Mahopac, NY; E. Gaynor Brennan GC – Stamford, CT; Redding CC – Redding, CT; Aspetuck Valley CC – Weston, CT; Morefar GC – Brewster, NY; Golf Club of Avon – Avon, CT; D. Fairchild Wheeler GC – Fairfield, CT; Timberlin GC – Berlin, CT; Fiddlers Elbow CC – Bedminster, NJ; Hartford Golf Club – West Hartford, CT ...and, over 150 renovations and 20 Driving Range complexes and facilities some noted in our GDU client list.
Doug is a graduate of Providence College and R.I.S.D. He is a member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects (ASGCA). He has also done several projects in collaboration with the First Tee organization and has the following professional affiliations:
- American Society of Golf Architects (ASGCA)
- Metropolitan Golf Association (MGA)
- USGA- Member and competition rules official
- Met Golf Course Superintendents Association (MGSAA)
- Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA)
Mark Curtin is responsible for design and construction of GDU's unique, modular driving range hitting bay structures which are functional, visually appealing and matched to specific environmental needs. They are state of the art structures.
Mr. Curtin has practiced architecture for over 30 years including positions with Welton Beckett, Albertson, Sharp and Ewing, Cook Walsh Associates as well as founding and operating his own firm since 1990. His professional designs include:
- Washington DC Hyatt and Convention Center
- One Mellon Bank Plaza building, Pittsburgh, PA
- 50 Wall Street Bldg. (Bank of NY)
- Numerous adaptive and historic rehabilitation projects in Historic South Norwalk-SONO and Milford, CT. and numerous single/multi-family residences in Fairfield County, Ct and Westchester County, NY.
- Mark is a graduate of Pratt Institute, Bachelor of Architecture degree, where he also served as an adjunct professor.